A few highlights:
- Both violent crime (3.3%) and property crime (6.3%) fell in 2018 from the previous year;
- The 2018 violent crime rate is still higher than 2014 and 2015;
- There were about 1.2 million violent crimes in 2018;
- The only category of violent crime increased was rape (2.7%);
- In 2018, the estimated number of murders in the nation was 16,214. This was a 6.2 percent decrease from the 2017 estimate, a 14.5 percent increase from the 2014 figure, and a 5.3 percent increase from the number in 2009.